Feb 29, 2016

Oliver Twist meets the means test

In a modern rich first world country.

Oliver Twist: Please, sir, I need another bowl.
Mr Bumble: Nobody will be left behind. Everybody in need will get welfare support. Now, Oliver, fill up this 20-page form, and we will get the gruel delivered to your table.

After a long time.
Oliver: Sir, this form says I have to get all my family members' income tax and employer payment letters. I don't know who are my family.
Mr Bumble: It's the rule. We must make sure that family support comes first.

After an even longer time.
Oliver: Sir, this form says I need a doctor to certify that I am malnourished. But I can't afford a doctor.
Mr Bumble: It's the rule. Welfare must not be wasted by people who don't need it.

After a long long time.
Hungry friends of Oliver: When is the gruel coming?
Oliver: I give up. I can't complete this form.

Mr Bumble: Nobody will be left behind. Everybody in need will get welfare support. Food will be delivered to his table.

(With loud music and applause in the background, as Mr Bumble repeats himself ad nauseam)

No comments:

Post a Comment